[ipxe-devel] iPXE DHCP failure

Michael Cirineo jeriryan87 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 23:24:30 UTC 2011

Thanks for your suggestions. Changing to broadcast didn't help me.

This is very frustrating.  Sometimes it will work, then you reboot and it just won't work anymore.  I've got wireshark going on a machine connected to a hub that the iPXE client is also connected to.  I connected this hub to see a complete replication of all the client's traffic, just in case the switch port monitor was lying to me.  The iPXE client is receiving reach and every DHCP ACK extremely quickly after it sends out DHCPREQUESTs, but it's just ignoring them.  Wireshark looks like:
DHCPDISCOVER
DHCPOFFER
DHCPDISCOVER
DHCPOFFER
DHCPREQUEST
DHCPACK
DHCPREQUEST
DHCPACK
DHCPREQUEST
DHCPACK
DHCPREQUEST
DHCPACK
DHCPREQUEST
DHCPACK

But iPXE looks like
DHCPDISCOVER
DHCPOFFER
DHCPDISCOVER
DHCPOFFER
DHCPREQUEST
DHCPREQUEST
DHCPREQUEST
DHCPREQUEST
DHCPREQUEST

Weirdly, even on the best, working reboots, it always does the discover twice, even though iPXE acknowledges that it recieved the first one.  I'm just not sure what to do.  How do I turn up the verbosity even more?  I just did make bin/ipxe.bin DEBUG=dhcp.  I tried DEBUG=dhcp:4, DEBUG=dhcp:8, DEBUG=dhcp:15, and there was no more output.

-Mike