[ipxe-devel] question on speed of download using kernel/initrd

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed May 11 03:44:47 UTC 2011

Hi folks

   I have a very simple test going on, as part of our development
processes.  I set up a simple ipxe script which is pulled down via a
simple chain setup in dnsmasq.  That part works great.

The script looks like this:

#!ipxe

#config
kernel http://internal-install/tiburon/OS/Centos_5.5_x64/vmlinuz
initrd http://internal-install/tiburon/OS/Centos_5.5_x64/initrd.img
boot

The download speed is pretty terrible though.  Very very slow, about
23kB/s.  I was hoping for something much faster than tftp.  Is there any
way to speed this up?

Network is a gigabit.  Target machine is a VirtualBox machine with a
gigabit adapter.  Server is a pretty good machine, with physical gigabit
NICs.

   Thanks!

Joe

--