[ipxe-devel] DHCP use-cached

Joshua Oreman oremanj at MIT.EDU
Fri May 6 21:43:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Greg Jednaszewski
<jednaszewski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 6, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Michael Brown wrote:
>
>> On Friday 06 May 2011 18:07:53 Greg Jednaszewski wrote:
>>> In my particular case, the only options I care about are IP, netmask,
>>> next-server, and possibly gateway which should all be present in the
>>> initial DHCP response used by the PXE ROM.  I use the next-server field to
>>> find the config server to chainload a more detailed config script via HTTP
>>> (based on MAC address).
>>>
>>> Do I need to do anything special to make this work besides this?  I'm using
>>> undionly.kpxe + an embedded script.
>>>
>>> set use-cached 1
>>> dhcp net0
>>
>> I believe that should work.
>
> That did work, but I had to build undionly.kkpxe; it didn't work with undionly.kpxe.  I couldn't find a description that talks about the difference between the two.  Can anyone give me a quick summary of when to use one vs. the other?

kkpxe keeps the underlying PXE stack around. It's necessary in two cases:
- buggy PXE stacks, where .kpxe (which keeps the UNDI driver but
unloads the rest of the PXE stack) doesn't work
- when you want to get cached DHCP packets from the underlying PXE
stack, as in this case.

This probably should indeed be documented somewhere - sorry you had
trouble with it!

Josh