[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] Need help with gPXE set up

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 10:11:46 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 29 Mar 2011 06:31:32 Pandey, Hariom Sharan wrote:
> We are setting up PXE boot using NX3031 NIC card which is now coming with
>  gPXE code.
>
> Our servers are using DHCP assigned IP for PXE boot and works great for
>  PXE, using gPXE I am coming across through timeout error, please refer the
>  screen shot.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1.  How exactly to start OS installation using gPXE?
> 2.  Does it require any specific settings on DHCP server and what changes
>  need to be done on client side.
>  3.  I am also not able to see the ctrl-B,  so not sure how to get into cmd.
>  Using cmd what I need to do on client side to boot through PXE.
>  4.  Is there any option to bring gPXE back to  normal PXE.

I think the standard build as shipped by QLogic has the Ctrl-B prompt
disabled.  You can try booting from the iPXE CD-ROM, which you can download
from

  http://boot.ipxe.org/ipxe.iso

You can attach this as a virtual CD-ROM via iLO.  This will allow you to enter
the iPXE command line, where you can start testing.  The iPXE error page for
the "Connection timed out" problem that you are seeing is at

  http://ipxe.org/4c106035

and contains some hints and tips on dealing with this specific problem.

You should be able to use iPXE in the same way as a standard (Intel) PXE
stack; there is no specific DHCP configuration required, and your usual OS
deployment mechanisms (e.g. Altiris RDP) should work.