[ipxe-devel] iPXE for Apple hardware

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 06:57:39 UTC 2011

On Thursday 24 Mar 2011 17:45:34 James A. Peltier wrote:
> A co-worker of mine pointed me at this URL which outlines NFS booting a Mac
>  dmg file
>
> https://www.math.ohio-state.edu/oldwiki/administration/macosx/netboot/bsdp_
> with_isc_dhcp
>
> Is anyone currently using iPXE on Apple hardware?  If so can you give me a
>  brief description of the methods you used to build and deploy it?  We'd
>  like to use iPXE to provide iSCSI services at boot for deployment of Macs
>  using Deploy Studio.

iPXE can be built as an EFI application, which has (occasionally) been tested
on Macs.  You should be able to build on any Unix-like OS with gcc, including
Mac OS.

However, the EFI build does not provide any kind of iSCSI support, since there
is no direct equivalent of the INT13 API under EFI.  There is an EFI iSCSI
initiator available as part of the EFI EDK, though I haven't tried using it.