[ipxe-devel] Create rom image with embedded script [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Andrew Dwyer andrew.dwyer at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Mar 9 05:48:44 UTC 2011

Michael Brown <mbrown at ...> writes:
> HP BIOSes are known to do some strange things, such as using random unmarked
> areas of system memory to hold critical BIOS data structures.  You could try
> the attached patch, which will convert iPXE to a dumb pre-PCI3 ROM that
> doesn't do *anything* on initialisation except inform the BIOS that it is a
> bootable device.  It should then show up as "iPXE" (rather than the usual
> "iPXE (PCI 37:09.0)").
> Michael

Hi Michael,

I tried the patch you supplied but this time no iPXE message is displayed and
the card still doesn't appear as a bootable device in the BIOS.  As soon as I
flash the default Intel pxe ROM back onto the card I see POST message from the
card and it's again available as a boot device.

Any other ideas?  Or should I just give up on the HP machine?

Thanks

Andrew