[ipxe-devel] trouble booting CentOS from Netapp iSCSI LUN

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 01:58:44 UTC 2011

On Thursday 03 Mar 2011 00:21:58 Scott Classen wrote:
> making a bit more progress. I think the tip about checking ACLs was
> correct. I guess teh equivalent thing on a netapp are teh iniator
> groups and mapping them to specific LUNs.
>
> I had to add  iqn.2000-09.org.etherboot:unknown (presumably this is
> how an iSCSI server sees iPXE?) to this initiator group on the netapp

That is the current default, if no explicit initiator IQN is specified via
either DHCP option 203 or the "initiator-iqn" setting.

I will have to change that default, since I don't own the etherboot.org
namespace, and I can't trust the owner not to cause problems in future.  This
may cause pain for people who have already added the default IQN to ACLs.
I'll try to minimise the pain by finally making the default IQN include the
local MAC address, which will be helpful since some targets refuse to let
multiple initiators connect simultaneously using the same (default) initiator
IQN.

> now I get:
>
> Registered as SAN device 0x80
> Booting from SAN device 0x80
>
> but the client machine just hangs indefinately.

That usually indicates that the target disk doesn't contain a bootable OS.
What is installed on this disk?