[ipxe-devel] trouble booting CentOS from Netapp iSCSI LUN

Scott Classen sclassen at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 2 23:24:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 Mar 2011 22:46:54 Scott Classen wrote:
>> I've set the BIOS to boot from the onboard intel NIC, and I see teh
>> regular PXE boot then it gets chainloded into iPXE and then I see this
>> horribly non informative error.
>>
>> [clip]
>> some iPXE boot messages and info about dhcp and net0
>> [clip]
>>
>> Root path: iscsi:192.168.1.12::::iqn.2010-11.com.big.samos
>> Could not open SAN device: No such device (http://ipxe.org/2c0d603b)
>> no more network devices
>>
>> any ideas why it's trying to open some device at http://ipxe.org ???
>
> It isn't.  It's trying to direct _you_ to look at http://ipxe.org/2c0d603b ,
> where you will find some hopefully helpful suggestions relating to the specific
> problem you are seeing, along with a link to the exact line of the iPXE source
> code that is generating that specific error.
>
> Michael

duh! Thanks for the pointer
OK I'm now looking at my Netapp while the iPXE machine is booting and
I see the following error:

Wed Mar  2 15:17:10 PST [mynetappfiler: iscsi.loginFailure:warning]:
ISCSI: iSCSI login failure, 'Invalid TargetName
iqn.2010-11.com.big.samos'

but if I do an  igroup show an my Netapp I see that it is a valid Target:

netapp*> igroup show
iqn.2010-11.com.big.samos (not logged in)

I'll continue to mess around with it, but it looks like some sort of
formatting or communication problem between the iPXE iSCSI initator
and the NetApp.

Thanks,

Scott