[ipxe-devel] HTTP SAN / ISO booting

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 14:48:06 UTC 2011

Hello,

James, Michael merged his ISO SAN boot code into the mainline (master
branch?) iPXE just a few days after the commit referenced in that
original email.  I'm not sure if that fact made the mailing list or
not... I think he mentioned it on IRC when I heard it.

MWH, with regard to the error you're experiencing, I'm fairly certain
that it is because you're trying to connect two SAN devices without
explicitly declaring which INT 13 device you'd like to map to.  By
default, when no device is specified, iPXE will map a SAN target to
BIOS drive 0x80, regardless of whether or not it has done so already.
Your "sanhook" maps that iSCSI target as 0x80, and then the "sanboot"
tries to do the same, and fails.

Instead of the script you posted, try the following:

dhcp net0
set keep-san 1
set initiator-iqn iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:ipxe.testlab.bv.ar.us.local
sanhook iscsi:192.168.65.2::::iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:ipxe-target
sanboot --drive 0x81 --no-describe http://192.168.65.3/Images/ISOs/myiso.iso

My syntax might not be perfect... not looking at the "help" text or
doc right now :)

With respect to the "--no-describe" parameter, I recall reading
something about iPXE's ibft support not being able to pass more than
one SAN device to the booted OS... haven't looked in to that yet :P

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky