[ipxe-devel] UNDI Memory Error

John Julien john at julienfamily.com
Thu Jul 28 22:43:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've come across an issue using the UNDI driver of the Broadcom 5709C card.
I've been using the UDNI driver with no problems until recently I started
getting the message "Try to free Memory without Signature"  Utilizing
different hardware vendors and through many trial and error tests I believe
I've narrowed the issue down to something that was introduced in the
Broadcom NetXtreme Ethernet Boot Agent v6.0.11 .

Here is a copy of my console with some extra debug output from iPXE.   You
can ignore the "Getting ready to load into memory" message.  That's
something I added to the source to try and track down the exact line of code
the failure was occurring at which I found to be line 00097 of
arch/i386/drivers/net/undirom.c <http://dox.ipxe.org/undirom_8c.html>
<http://dox.ipxe.org/undirom_8c_source.html> [code]

00097         /* Call loader */

00098         undi_loader_entry = undirom->loader_entry;

00099         __asm__ __volatile__ ( REAL_CODE ( "pushw %%ds\n\t"

00100                                            "pushw %%ax\n\t"

00101                                            "lcall
*undi_loader_entry\n\t"

00102                                            "addw $4, %%sp\n\t" )

00103                                : "=a" ( exit )

00104                                : "a" ( __from_data16 ( &undi_loader )
)

00105                                : "ebx", "ecx", "edx", "esi", "edi",
"ebp" );

Error Image: http://home.comcast.net/~john.julien/ipxe/ipxe_error.gif

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how I might narrow
it down any further?

Thanks,

John