[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] executing in memory gpxe script

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 20:11:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk>wrote:

> > Is there some options that need to be set inside of ipxe to allow the
> > command-line to take like the embedded script?
> > How do you determine what is in the embedded script?
>
> You specify the iPXE initial command line by appending it to the "kernel"
> line
> in the grub configuration file, as shown in the example I gave you.
>
> As I said previously, you cannot pass an iPXE script in an initrd image,
> but
> you can use the initial command line to get much the same effect.
>
> If you are finding that your initial command line is being ignored, you can
> try
> enabling DEBUG=cmdline to see what iPXE is picking up from grub.  To build
> from source:
>
>  make bin/ipxe.lkrn DEBUG=cmdline
>
> or you can use a prebuilt binary from
>
>  http://build.ipxe.org/ipxe.lkrn?DEBUG=cmdline
>
> Michael

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  The command line I put in was similar to
yours but it didn't work.
I replace ipxe with the debug version and it didn't find the command line.
I got:
CMDLINE found ""
CMDLINE using ""
CMDLINE freeing command line

Here is my grub kernel line (its a single line in the file):
kernel /ipxe.lkrn ifopen net4 && set net4/ip 134.242.160.142 && set
net4/netmask 255.255.252.0 && set net4/gateway 134.242.160.254 && sanboot
http://10.109.0.46/repo/RHEL6/rhel-server-6.0-x86_64-dvd.iso

I use options on the kernel line for our boot of the kernel that gets picked
up so grub is
not at fault here.