[ipxe-devel] [iPXE] SANBOOT failed Input/Output Error

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 17:31:29 UTC 2010

On Thursday 28 Oct 2010 08:41:39 Johnny Stenback wrote:
> >    iscsi:10.0.0.1:::1:iqn.2010-10.com.direcpc.shire:gandalf.bud-pc
>
> Yup, that was next on my list of things to test, but I had lost my
> reference to in between which ':'s that number should go :). And yes,
> adding that '1' there is exactly what I needed. Sure would be nice if
> this could be made more obvious someway, but I'm afraid I don't really
> know what that would be. I guess the wiki could point this out more
> clearly, especially in light of the fact that a common linux iSCSI
> target toolchain prevents you from using LUN 0.

I have updated http://ipxe.org/1d704239 to provide an explicit example of
specifying a non-zero LUN; do you think this is clear enough?

Interestingly, in your case, the target seems to have given up responding to
the repeated READ CAPACITY requests, which means that the final reported error
was http://ipxe.org/4c852035 (Connection timed out) rather than the real
underlying error.  If you have time, it would be very helpful to know what
caused this timeout error, so that we can ensure that anyone running into this
problem in future will be directed to the correct error page.