[ipxe-devel] Build fail on FreeBSD

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 21:06:47 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 27 Oct 2010 20:27:52 Jedrzej Kalinowski wrote:
>  I tried just 'gmake', the build went further, but now I get:
>
>    [BUILD] bin/fakedhcp.o
>    [BUILD] bin/fc.o
>    [BUILD] bin/fcels.o
>  net/fcels.c: In function 'fc_els_prli_detect':
>  net/fcels.c:1101: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault: 11
>  Please submit a full bug report,
>  with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>  See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
>  gmake: *** [bin/fcels.o] Błąd 1
>
>  This was when I used gcc 4.2.1

Interesting.  I don't have a gcc 4.2.1 available to test with; if you (or
anyone else) would like to try playing around with fc_els_prli_detect() to find
out exactly what triggers this gcc bug, that would be helpful.

>  I switched to gcc 4.4.5, and now I've got this:
>
>    [BUILD] bin/tap.o
>  In file included from drivers/linux/tap.c:22:
>  include/linux_api.h:37:25: error: linux/types.h: No such file or
>  directory
>  include/linux_api.h:38:31: error: linux/posix_types.h: No such file or
>  directory
>  In file included from drivers/linux/tap.c:22:
>  include/linux_api.h:39: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or
>  '__attribute__' before 'pid_t'
>
>  Looks like looking for header files not present in FreeBSD.

As Shao says, this is due to iPXE attempting to build the Linux-specific code
on a platform that doesn't have Linux-specific headers.  Could you try the
attached patch and see if this fixes your problem?

Thanks,