[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] Delay while booting Windows 7 from iSCSI

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Sun Nov 21 18:26:46 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 Nov 2010 16:44:38 Erik Loman wrote:
> I am experiencing a slow Windows 7 boot (I have installed directly to the
>  SAN).
>
> I detect a solid 20 second of zero disk activity. I want to get rid of that
>  20 second delay because it is holding up Windows to boot.
>
> I have looked in the Event Log to see which part is taking the longest time
>  and it is BootDevicesInitTime and BootPNPInitDuration (at least 16
>  seconds).
>
> I am running into a brick wall trying to solve this. Perhaps someone with
>  experience can help?

Could you obtain a packet capture?  It would be interesting to see when
Windows connects to the iSCSI target, relative to the 20 second delay (i.e.
does it connect and then wait 20 seconds, or is it waiting 20 seconds before
connecting in the first place).

(Redirected to ipxe-devel list; please use iPXE for any future needs.)