[ipxe-devel] iPXE tg3 implementation is slow

Huan Truong hnt7438 at truman.edu
Sat Nov 6 02:59:54 UTC 2010

I'm using iPXE now and it is very apparent that iPXE tg3 implementation
is very slow.

It takes me about 30 seconds to fetch my vmlinuz kernel image from
Ubuntu 10.10 on a 1Gbps connection compared to gPXE (1.0.1)'s
implementation that takes about 1 second.

It prints out a bunch of hashes and sometimes a dot ################...
while gPXE doesn't.

I wonder if that's a regression or something.

I can help with debugging the problem if that's a regression as I have
the hardware here, but if that's something that the devs already know,
then there's no sense in doing it.