[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] Cramming two drivers into one ROM?

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Sat Nov 6 01:23:01 UTC 2010

On Saturday 06 Nov 2010 01:06:36 Huan Truong wrote:
> I wonder if I can cram both the driver for the 3com card and the driver
> for the Gigabit LOM (tg3) into one ROM file. This would make the 3com
> cards self-hosting (if no compatible LOM is found). Anyone has done that
> -- if that's at all possible. I'm willing to apply some hacks, but gPXE
> makefile is kind of too big and confusing to me.

(Redirecting to ipxe-devel; please upgrade to iPXE.)

You can append additional modules to the make target.  For example, if you
normally build your ROM using

  make bin/10b79005.rom

then you can add a tg3 driver using

  make bin/10b79005--tg3.rom

Note that the first device specified in the list (10b79005 in this case) must
have the correct PCI IDs for the card that physically hosts the ROM.