[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] Debugging over UDP

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 18:20:39 UTC 2010

On Thursday 09 Dec 2010 22:01:54 Vinay Venkataraghavan wrote:
> I'm not familiar with this embedded script capability. How would this work.
> Would this method that you have described above work as follows:
>
> 1. The script sends the NIC's MAC address and PCI ID's to a script on a web
> server.
> 2. You have mentioned that this web server generates a dynamic image.
>     How would this work?
> 3. Then the host to be booted can boot over http by pointing to the image
>  file on the web server.
>
> Do I understand this correctly?

Yes.  You can use the embedded script to send a custom HTTP GET request, such
as

  #!ipxe
  chain http://192.168.0.1/boot.php?mac=${mac}&serial=${serial:uristring}

You can implement boot.php to do whatever you want in response to the
parameters passed via the HTTP GET.  For example, if your boot.php decides to
create a new iSCSI target and direct the client to boot from it, it could
return another script:

  #!ipxe
  sanboot iscsi:192.168.0.123::::iqn.2010-12.com.example:52:54:00:12:34:56