[ipxe-devel] Using ipxe to only retrieve boot loader and OS image and not install

Vinay Venkataraghavan raghavanvinay at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 17:50:47 UTC 2010

Michael,

Thank you so much for your response. I will definitely give this a shot. Just
also want to take this opportunity to applaud on the fantastic job that you have
in implementing so many modules for both gPXE and iPXE and making it so
versatile.

To answer your question as to why I might want to do what I propose: I basically
want my host to act like a PXE proxy. The only role of this host it be able to
contact and communicate with the PXE server and subsequently just store these
images on this host.

Subsequently, other hosts that contact this host can retrieve their OS images
rather than execute the entire DHCP protocol to retrieve images from the DHCP or
the PXE server.

Will try this out and let you know how it goes. Once again, thanks a lot. I
really appreciate it.

Regards,
- Vinay