[ipxe-devel] "Installation failed" on 3Com 905B cards

Quinn Plattel qiet72 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 13:50:48 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:28 AM Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org> wrote:

> On 13/03/2019 17:26, Quinn Plattel wrote:
> > Thanks for the quick response.  Here is the banner message:
> >
> > iPXE (http://ipxe.org) 04:04.0 6800 PCI3.00 PnP PMM+00106D80+00000000
> CE00
> > Press Ctrl-B to configure iPXE (PCI 04:04.0)...
>
> Thanks; that explains the root cause of the problem.
>
> The BIOS is allocating a PMM block at 0x106d80 to hold a copy of the raw
> ROM image, but failing the second PMM allocation for the temporary
> decompression area.
>
> The default temporary decompression area used by iPXE if PMM allocation
> fails is at 0x100000 (i.e. the start of high memory).  The decompressed
> ROM image is therefore overwriting the copy of the raw ROM image, which
> leads to the CRC32 checksum failure.
>
> What banner line did you get on this system with the (working) DFE-530TX?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

I did another type of test now:

I disabled AUTOBOOT_ROM_FILTER in config/general.h and recompiled the 905b
rom file.
I then flashed it to the 29C512 chip but this time I installed this chip
into the DFE-530TX D-Link card.  I put both cards into the same machine
with the 3com card installed without a bootrom chip.  When I started the
machine, the 3com code in the d-link card executed successfully this time
and found the 3Com pci card and did a successful dhcp connection.
Interestingly both roms report 00000000 on the second address of there
banner pages.

Quinn