[ipxe-devel] Desperately need help on booting Windows 10 from iSCSI

Qing Zheng qizheng at nvidia.com
Fri Jun 28 07:37:17 UTC 2019

Hi Johannes,

  I checked both index1 and index2 of Windows 10 boot.wim as well as install.wim, e1i65x64.sys is not in any of  the driver stores. During iSCSI boot somehow Windows decided to download and install it (device driver plug-and-play?). It's BootFlags is set to 3. The same as the actual driver e1i63x64.sys that is being used. (e1i63x64.sys is in the driver stores of both boot.wim and install.wim). From the device manager I tried to update the driver to the latest one which is e1d65x64.sys. I injected the latest driver e1d65x64.sys into both boot.wim and install.wim, hope Windows can pick up the latest one. However, it is still complaining that e1i65x64.sys is not signed.

  I tried to use a 10G card instead of the 1G card and no luck as well. The actual driver used by the 10G card is ixs65x64.sys, however, during iSCSI boot Windows is complaining that ixi65x64.sys is not signed. If I install on a local disk, no problem at all.

  Both e1i65x64.sys and ixi65x64.sys are not available in Intel network adapters for Windows 10 (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10). That's where I get lost, don't why during iSCSI boot Windows is looking  for these two drivers that are not signed even if when corresponding latest drivers are available.

  Thanks for your help
  Qing