[ipxe-devel] Desperately need help on booting Windows 10 from iSCSI

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 05:54:12 UTC 2019

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 07:49, Qing Zheng <qizheng at nvidia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

>   I use WinPE to install Windows 10 RS4 on an iSCSI target in OpenStack. The installation went well. However, after the installation the Windows will reboot itself to complete the rest of the installation. That’s where the problem starts. I get the following error messages during boot up
>
>   “Recovery
>
>    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
>
>    The operating system couldn’t be booted because the digital signature of a file couldn’t be verified
>
>    File: \Windows\System32\drivers\e1i65x64.sys
>
>    Error code 0xc0000428
>

> I have to go the advanced boot menu to disable driver signature check then it can boot successfully. Once it is booted I checked the detail of the network driver, it is actually using e1i63x64.sys not e1i65x64.sys
>
> The hardware ids of the driver are
>
> PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&SUBSYS_86721643&REV_00
>
> PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&SUBSYS_86721643
>
> PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&CC_02000
>
> PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&CC_0200
>

> If I install Windows 10 RS4 on a local hard disk. There is no problem. The problem only shows up when I try to install on an iSCSI target.
>

> I tried to use the following bcdedit commands to permanently disable the driver signature checks and nothing works. I have to manually hit the F7 key to disable the driver check on EVERY reboot
>
> bcdedit /set testsigning on
>
> bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on
>
> bcdedit /set loadoptions DIABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
>

> Desperately need your help to solve this problem
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Qing
>
> ________________________________
> This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Hi,
You can find several posts in the forum with more info in regards to
iSCSI booting windows 10.
And the answer is that it's hard - really hard, and most have probably given up.
If you have a "supported" (more or less by Microsoft) than this might work.

But it would be good if someone with some "strength" could get correct
answers from the Microsoft/Intel combo to what should be done to use
iPXE correctly for iPXE iSCSI boot.

/Christian