[ipxe-devel] Desperately need help on booting Windows 10 from iSCSI

Qing Zheng qizheng at nvidia.com
Sat Jun 22 23:01:05 UTC 2019

Hi,

  I use WinPE to install Windows 10 RS4 on an iSCSI target in OpenStack. The installation went well. However, after the installation the Windows will reboot itself to complete the rest of the installation. That's where the problem starts. I get the following error messages during boot up
  "Recovery
   Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
   The operating system couldn't be booted because the digital signature of a file couldn't be verified
   File: \Windows\System32\drivers\e1i65x64.sys
   Error code 0xc0000428
"
I have to go the advanced boot menu to disable driver signature check then it can boot successfully. Once it is booted I checked the detail of the network driver, it is actually using e1i63x64.sys not e1i65x64.sys
The hardware ids of the driver are
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&SUBSYS_86721643&REV_00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&SUBSYS_86721643
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&CC_02000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&CC_0200

If I install Windows 10 RS4 on a local hard disk. There is no problem. The problem only shows up when I try to install on an iSCSI target.

I tried to use the following bcdedit commands to permanently disable the driver signature checks and nothing works. I have to manually hit the F7 key to disable the driver check on EVERY reboot
bcdedit /set testsigning on
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on
bcdedit /set loadoptions DIABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

Desperately need your help to solve this problem
Thanks in advance
Qing