[ipxe-devel] [tls] received overlength Handshake - GoDaddy certs

Sebastian Roth sebaroth at gmx.de
Fri Jan 18 20:19:02 UTC 2019

Hey,

trying to tackle this myself I got a little further. From what I
understand the GoDaddy certificate (probably the whole chain together)
is longer than 4096 bytes causing the TLS handshake to be fragmented
into two portions as max_fragmentation_length extension is used and set
to 4096 [1]. Removing that TLS extension from the client request solves
the issue I see with GoDaddy certs right away but would leave us with a
high memory footprint as described in the commit message [1].

The issue as I see it is that iPXE proceeds with handling the first 4096
byte blob of data as TLS_CERTIFICATE handshake although more data from
the subsequent TLS record needs to be processed as well.

I am wondering that this has not been reported by anyone else so maybe I
am on the wrong track with this. But having dug through the code for
hours now I am fairly sure about it. I just don't seem to be able to fix
this by myself as I don't know the IO buffer handling and other things
involved well enough.

See below for hints on how to reproduce the issue - fairly easy.

Regards,
Sebastian

[1]
https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commit/9a8c6b00d4433eb5c24f50c0c4a93c127d77def0