[ipxe-devel] 64 bit?

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Wed Jan 16 10:17:50 UTC 2019

On 10/01/2019 19:21, Johannes Thoma wrote:
> I will try that, in theory it should work then. Does it make sense
> to support loading images > 2GB in 32-bit version also? One has to
> change some size_t declarations to uint64_t then (it almost works
> for me), if I keep on trying I think that I can do that (it currently
> boots a 32GB image in a 32-bit test version).

 From memory: the issue in 32-bit builds is that format_decimal() in
core/vsprintf.c will handle only 32-bit (signed) integers and so the
HTTP range request headers cannot be constructed correctly for >2GB.

This limitation in format_decimal() is originally intended to allow for
the binary to be kept as small as possible, by avoiding the need to link
in the 64-bit division code.  This is arguably obsolete nowadays.