[ipxe-devel] Default path in IPXE chain command

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Tue Jan 15 23:48:05 UTC 2019

On 15/01/2019 16:34, Lee Turchin wrote:
> I need to figure out the default search path for configuring IPXE
>
> I receive an error that files cannot be located during TFTP boot.
>
> Chain command in bootstrap.ipxe is the below.  Please note the first
> line- chain http://172.17.11.119:8150/svc/boot?  Where is the /svc/boot
> directory location supposed to be on a CentOS 7 system? How do I change
> that to a viable directory and/or create that same directory with the
> correct files?

It looks as though whoever created your iPXE script was expecting
/svc/boot to be handled by a custom web server application that would
use the various pieces of information (MAC addresses, UUID, etc) to
decide what to boot next.

The web server application would have been used to generate an iPXE
script file.  This script file could contain pretty much anything; there
is no way to deduce what it would do from the information you are able
to provide.

You should probably try to track down whoever wrote your bootstrap.ipxe
script, and ask them where to find the corresponding web server
application code.

Alternatively, if you know what you want to boot, then you could just
throw away bootstrap.ipxe and write your own iPXE script.

Hope that helps,