[ipxe-devel] 64 bit?

Johannes Thoma johannes at johannesthoma.com
Thu Jan 10 19:21:01 UTC 2019

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your quick response.

Am 10.01.19 um 20:00 schrieb Michael Brown:
>> Before continuing I would like to know if there is a way to compile ipxe
>> in 64 bit mode ( -m64 ), so that size_t is 64 bit and if that would work.
>
> Yes, there are 64-bit iPXE builds available for both UEFI and BIOS, e.g.:
>
>    make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi
>    make bin-x86_64-pcbios/ipxe.pxe

I will try that, in theory it should work then. Does it make sense
to support loading images > 2GB in 32-bit version also? One has to
change some size_t declarations to uint64_t then (it almost works
for me), if I keep on trying I think that I can do that (it currently
boots a 32GB image in a 32-bit test version).

Background: I am working on WinDRBD (www.github.com/LINBIT/windrbd)
and we would like to provide diskless clients over DRBD for Windows.
Since porting DRBD to ipxe is not an option at the moment (DRBD
is highly stateful in the protocol), we boot our clients via
http (using a cgi-bin script delivering via dd from the block
device) and once the drivers are loaded serve the System volume
via our WinDRBD Windows driver.

Please let me know,

- Johannes