[ipxe-devel] Apple iMac's

Sebastian Roth sebaroth at gmx.de
Wed Feb 20 23:20:20 UTC 2019

On 2/20/19 11:26 PM, Andreas Fink wrote:
> Macs don't netboot in the usual PXE fashion (dhcp to get a local IP +
> tftp to load a image of a tftp server).
> They have another mechanism called Boot Server Discovery Protocol
> (BSDP). That mechanism can then be used to then load ipxe.

While you are right about it being a bit different to PXE boot and
called BSDP in the Apple world I wouldn't say "Macs don't netboot in the
usual PXE fashion". The base of BSDP is not far from PXE netboot I find.

>> On 20 Feb 2019, at 17:27, Matthew Turner <supra_matt at yahoo.com
>> <mailto:supra_matt at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>>
>> We have a number of Apple iMac's 14,2 & 17,1 machines.

You might want to read through those posts as well as we had people with
particular iMacs (depends on the NIC model) that couldn't be made to
boot from network using iPXE:
https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/10615/ipxe-booting-possibly-broken-on-os-x-sierra-update
(see the topics on iMacs linked there too)

Keeping my fingers crossed that you have other NICs in your iMacs!

Sebastian