[ipxe-devel] iPXE on arm64 has broken endpoints across many distros

Travis Lazar travis.lazar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 22:43:04 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm bringing up a set of iPXE scripts on an Ampere Computing eMAG (aarch64)
system. I chain load the boot.netboot.xyz menu, which loads fine, OS
distros are present as expected, but none will execute an install.

The root cause is the URL configurations. The linux install URLs are almost
always wrong for aarch64 builds of these distributions. It's easy to see in
Ubuntu's case where the standard base URL as set in boot.cfg (line 66) is
set to archive.ubuntu.com, however, all of the aarch64 builds exist and are
hosted on ports.ubuntu.com. When loading and executing a boot through the
menu a file-not-found error is given. I can replicate this across CentOS,
Fedora, and Ubuntu (all major versions of each). I haven't checked other
distros, but I assume the problem is consistent.

What's the best way to move forward? I'm happy to help in whatever way I
can, but I'm a complete PXE/iPXE noob and would need some guidance on
making the correct code changes in the correct ways for a pull request.
Otherwise, I'm happy to assist another developer in hunting down the
correct URL configurations for each of these distros. Please advise.

Thanks!

--
*Travis Lazar*
*Ampere Computing*