[ipxe-devel] ipxe and uefi secure boot

Tamas Baumgartner-Kis tbk-ipxe at yals.de
Thu Sep 27 07:06:32 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm wondering how ipxe handles image loading with uefi secure boot enabled.

I have my own uefi secure boot keys (so no microsoft keys).

When I sign ipxe with my own key everything is ok and I'm able to boot ipxe
over the network and uefi secure boot isn't complaining.

If I boot from ipxe a uefi_shell.efi signed with my key the shell is loading fine
and again uefi secure boot is satisfied.

But if I boot a kernel signed with my key ipxe stops to execute the kernel with following error:

Could not boot image: Exec format error (http://ipxe.org/2e008081)

Kind regards
   Tamas Baumgartner-Kis

--