[ipxe-devel] gunzip downloaded image?

Jarrod Johnson jarrod.b.johnson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 19:29:12 UTC 2018

At least in the ARM64 distribution that I was dealing with, the kernel is
gzipped.  So doing an exec of an ARM64 as an EFI stub didn't work unless I
gunzipped the kernel ahead of time.

Contrast with x86_64, where the compressed kernel has EFI stub intact.

I'm presuming grub transparently gunzips the arm kernels and that's why
they don't bother making the compressed kernel efi stub...

Someone can let me know if I'm missing something, but gunzip leads to efi
stub working with ipxe, but obviously the download size impact is not
desirable...