[ipxe-devel] link down

Sebastian Roth sebaroth at gmx.de
Fri Jan 26 07:09:38 UTC 2018

On 01/26/2018 12:17 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> On Thu, 1970-01-01 at 00:00 +0000, Michael Brown wrote:
>> On 25/01/18 15:13, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>>> Got link down when booing ipxe from grub(linux16 boot/ipxe.lkrn),
>>> http://ipxe.org/err/380861 suggest to send a mail to here:

I am wondering why do you boot iPXE through GRUB at all?

>>    then you should check that the cable is plugged in, and that any link
>>    lights are on."
>
> Yes, I know the connection works. I can EFI ipxe boot the same
> machine(can ipxe do Legacy PXE boot as well?)

Yes, iPXE can boot in both environments but using different builds and
possibly different header configs. For UEFI machines you want to build
ipxe.efi or snponly.efi. Whereas for legacy BIOS machines you have
ipxe.pxe or undionly.kpxe.

> I did forget to check the link lights though.

Definitely do that. As well have you set spanning tree port fast on the
switch port where your client is connected? Try using an unmanaged mini
switch to connect between client and main switch just to see if that
makes a difference. Quite often things like spanning tree, EEE or even
auto-negotiation get into the way.

Sebastian