[ipxe-devel] Question of iPXE output files

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 20:24:43 UTC 2018

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 21:21, <George_Chang at wistron.com> wrote:

> Hi, iPXE developer,
>

> We are trying to build up a test PXE server with your binaries to validate
> our systems’ IRQ setting.
>

> I have some questions of output files of iPXE source code.
>

> According to this table, there are lots of extensions can be chosen to be
> built.
>

> *extension*
>
> *Valid platforms*
>
> *Description*
>
> .pxe
>
> pcbios
>
> Headerless X86 assembly code, PXE- or NBP-booted, sometimes renamed to .0
> to work on older DHCP/TFTP servers
>
> .efi
>
> efi
>
> EFI executable
>
> .kpxe
>
> pcbios
>
> Same as .pxe but will Keep the original UNDI stack/driver present. This
> is needed for undionlyref
> <http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=8127&pid=12812#pid12812>
>
> .kkpxe
>
> pcbios
>
> Same as .kpxe but will not unload (Keep) the PXE base code. only use with
> buggy BIOSes
>
> .lkrn
>
> pcbios
>
> Builds with kernel header similar to Linux so it can be started by many
> bootloaders
>
> .iso
>
> pcbios
>
> Builds .lkrn and adds ISOLINUX to create CD-ROM image, can be started by
> many bootloaders
>
> .hd
>
> pcbios
>
> Direct executable i386 code put on a harddisk image (32KB blocks)
>
> .dsk
>
> pcbios
>
> Direct executable i386 code put on a floppy disk image (512 Byte blocks)
>
> .pdsk
>
> pcbios
>
> Padded .dsk to work with loaders that requires exact size such as iLO
>
> .usb
>
> pcbios, efi
>
> Same as .dsk for pcbios, in efi mode it's an 1440K image with partition
> and [driver].efi added as /efi/boot/boot[arch].efi, mostly used for making
> USB stick images
>
> .rom
>
> pcbios
>
> File intended to be flashed into PCI-based NIC ROM
>
> .mrom
>
> pcbios
>
> File intended to be flashed into PCI-based NIC ROM. See notes for
> ''.mrom'' <http://ipxe.org/download#large_rom_images>
>
> .pcirom
>
> pcbios
>
> Same as .rom
>
> .isarom
>
> pcbios
>
> File intended to be flashed into ISA-based NIC ROM, must be used with e.g.
> VirtualBox
>
> .efidrv
>
> efi

> [...]
Table is from https://ipxe.org/appnote/buildtargets#boot_type
Which function of undionly.kpxe are you referring to?
undionly refers to the driver, so if you read the driver section from the
same page you will find this:

   - snponly similar to undionly but for efi uses snp (Simple Network
   Protocol) or nii (Network Interface

Identifier Protocol) provided by something else in EFI land, should only
find and boot the specific NIC device it was chained from.

   - snp same as snponly but tries to boot all devices and not just the one
   it was chained via, this is also included in ipxebuilds

/Christian