[ipxe-devel] Infiniband GUID

Allen, Benjamin S. bsallen at alcf.anl.gov
Tue Sep 5 23:38:44 UTC 2017

On Sep 5, 2017, at 5:37 PM, Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org> wrote:

> On 05/09/17 22:58, Allen, Benjamin S. wrote:
>> Is there an iPXE scripting variable that is set to net0's Infiniband GUID as shown by ifstat, similar to net0/mac?
>> net0: GUID e4:1d:2d:03:00:f8:f0:0c - MAC e4:1d:2d:f8:f0:0c
>
> There isn't, sorry.
>
> Also, I think you are using FlexBoot (i.e. the heavily modified version maintained by Mellanox).  Upstream iPXE won't show you the GUID as part of "ifstat", although you can see the GUID along with plenty of other information (LID, subnet prefix, port state, and all active QPs) using the "ibstat" command.
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Correct I'm looking at this on the latest FlexBoot. I can certainly pose this question to Mellanox if you think they'll have insight.

I'm attempting to emulate what we're doing for ethernet clients in ISC-DHCP by passing the iPXE cfg path, eg 'filename "http://10.1.1.1/ipxe/cfg/${mac}";', where iPXE helpfully evaluates and fills in ${mac}.

In the past for pxelinux, we resorted to ISC-DHCP hacking based on the DHCP client identifier option: https://github.com/warewulf/warewulf3/blob/master/provision/etc/dhcpd-template.conf#L27, to pass a specific path for a configuration.  I could certainly do this for iPXE as well, but was hoping to avoid it. Note, the DHCP client identifier option passed by FlexBoot is the full 20-byte IB hardware address using a static subnet prefix (ff:00:00:00:00:00:02:00:00:02:c9:00) and the GUID.

Is there any way to access what DHCP option 61 (client identifier) is set to from the iPXE shell?

Thanks for your help,

Ben