[ipxe-devel] XenServer 7.0+

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 18:52:54 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Rich Dunn <rich at clearwateranalytics.com>
wrote:

> I am by no means an expert with ipxe but have been using it for a few
> weeks now.  I downloaded the ipxe.efi file from
> http://boot.ipxe.org/ipxe.efi and have it successfully loading and a menu
> to point to my Windows Deployment server or to load an Ubuntu install.  I
> am now trying to add XenServer to my menu but cannot get it to load.  I
> followed the instructions from http://ipxe.org/appnote/xenserver but that
> doesn’t seem to work on XenServer 7 or 7.1.  Is there something I’m doing
> wrong or does ipxe not work with the latest versions of XenServer yet?
> When I boot I get the following output.
>

> My ipxe menu file looks like this:
>

> #!ipxe
>
> kernel http://ipxe.local/xenserver/boot/xen.gz dom0_max_vcpus=1-2
> dom0_mem=752M,max:752M com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,vga
>
> module http://ipxe.local /xenserver/boot/vmlinux.gz console=hvc0
> console=tty0 install
>
> module http://ipxe.local /xenserver/install.img
>

> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>

> Rich

In EFI mode what you boot have to be a EFI binary ... as the error page
http://ipxe.org/2e008081 (that your error links to) explains, it needs to
be compiled with the CONFIG_EFI_STUB kernel option enabled.

As a first step you might want to try and extract xen.gz and see if it then
gets a valid PE header (the first magic bytes of a EFI executables must be
PE to in any way be a vaild EFI binary)