[ipxe-devel] Cannot move back to previous line

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Mon May 29 15:48:06 UTC 2017

On 29/05/17 16:23, Daniel Dybing wrote:
> There is a small “problem” which I have encountered a few times when
> writing scripts straight into the shell.
>
> The “problem” is that when the current line is full, and a new line is
> created below it, it is not possible to get back to the line above. So
> if I’ve mistyped something, I have to CTRL+C  and start all over again.
>
> Of course – it’s not that often that you have to write commands that
> spans across multiple lines, but it happens – and I guess other also
> feel a little frustrated because of this.
>
> Is there something I am doing wrong, or is it a technical
> issue/”impossibility”?

The issue is that many BIOSes do not support backspacing across a line
break.  By default, iPXE uses the BIOS for console output, so is subject
to the limitations of the BIOS.

You can work around this by using iPXE's graphical framebuffer console
support; see

   http://ipxe.org/cmd/console

This should allow you to happily navigate through multi-line commands
(and also allows you to use higher resolution, background images, etc.).