[ipxe-devel] SOLVED, but open questions [was Re: build error for ipxe.efi]

Oliver Rath new rath at mglug.de
Wed Jun 28 13:44:28 UTC 2017

Hi list,

building ipxe.efi from scratch worked. I also was able to enhance the
command set like console, ping, etc.

Enabling "IPXE_CMD" resulted in build fail of ipxe.efi binary (what is
it good for?).

Interesting point: Starting a "config" in a shell result in correct
values, but it was not possible to exit the config command via ctrl-x.

Imho uefi bios needs a correct "fingerprint" of the binary, which can be
validated in UEFI-Bios. I didnt change anything in my uefi-bios and
booting worked fine (!), but very slowly at the beginning. After
chainloading some scripts it had the old speed.

How does the UEFI-bios know, that the image is correct??? Has ipxe.efi
signed with a global uefi key, i.e. from microsoft?

What magic things are happening here?

Tfh!

Oliver