[ipxe-devel] ipxe newbie booting question

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Jul 27 23:34:45 UTC 2017

On 27/07/17 19:06, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> The reason that I need to boot iPXE from an iso is because I am booting
> from public hosted VPS machines that are located on the Internet.
>
> I can boot each machine and now get to the iPXE shell. How can I have
> the iPXE call the dnsmasq that I have running on another VPS machine at
> boot.example.com <http://boot.example.com> as an example.  I am trying
> to find, in the iPXE site and docs that show me how to have the iPXE
> shell call the bootp server so that it can return the IP and send over
> to the TFTP server to start returning the OS to be loaded onto the VPS
> machine?

Don't use TFTP.  Since you already have iPXE loaded, you can just use
HTTP to perform the rest of the boot.

Public cloud providers typically allow you to configure some kind of
metadata associated with virtual machine instances.  For example, Amazon
Web Services lets you specify an arbitrary blob of "user-data".  You can
use this to hold an iPXE script that will control the boot.  See, for
example:

   http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/cc25260

or

   http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/de85336

You could have your iPXE perform a standard DHCP request, and use the
DHCP server to control the boot process.  However, public cloud
providers often do not allow you to either control the DHCP
configuration or run your own DHCP server.  You will almost certainly
find the above metadata-based approach to be easier.