[ipxe-devel] Issues compiling latest ipxe on FreeBSD 11

Pete French pete at twisted.org.uk
Fri Jan 6 17:56:15 UTC 2017

I've been building ipxe on FreeBSD quite happily for a number of years
using gcc48 to compile it and the native C compiler for the tools
with the following compilation line:

	gmake HOST_CC=cc CC=gcc48 CONSOLE_SYSLOG=yes bin/ipxe.pxe

I recently upgraded to FreeBSD 11 - the major difference here is that the native
cpmiler has chnaged from clang 3.1 to clang 3.9. This is the reason for
requiring the opatch I emailed earlier, as it has somewhat stricter warnings.
But when I now try and build ipxe I get this:

ar: warning: creating bin/blib.a
  [VERSION] bin/version.ipxe.pxe.o
  [LD] bin/ipxe.pxe.tmp
  [BIN] bin/ipxe.pxe.bin
objcopy: moving loadable section .bss.data16, is this intentional?
objcopy: moving loadable section .bss.textdata, is this intentional?
  [ZINFO] bin/ipxe.pxe.zinfo
  [ZBIN] bin/ipxe.pxe.zbin
Input buffer overrun on pack
gmake: *** [Makefile.housekeeping:1254: bin/ipxe.pxe.zbin] Error 1
gmake: *** Deleting file 'bin/ipxe.pxe.zbin'
rm bin/version.ipxe.pxe.o bin/ipxe.pxe.bin bin/ipxe.pxe.zinfo

This puzzles me - doies anyone have any insight into this error ? This
is not down to a chnage in ipxe, as it still builds on FreeBSD 10 machines
that I have not yet upgraded.

Hope someone can give me some pointers...

-pete.