[ipxe-devel] Are you still developing?

Beau Hefley beauhefley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 23:16:50 UTC 2017

Hello, everyone!

I am currently developing my own Operating System using osdev.org's
excellent guide. I decided to stop using QEMU and get my old i386
machine out of the garage. I didn't want to keep unplugging my flash
drive and copying my new kernel for testing so I set up a webserver and
put IPXE on a flash drive with a script to download another script from
my webserver which downloads my kernel and boots it. It booted once, but
then when I uploaded a new kernel, I got error /1c838002. That redirects
to /1c8380, but the error page gives me no information.

My grub4dos entry:

title IPXE - Load boot script
clear
echo Loading IPXE
find --set-root /IPXE.KRN
kernel /IPXE.KRN
initrd /loadscript.ipxe

My embedded script:

#!ipxe

:retry_dhcp
dhcp || goto retry_dhcp
echo Dhcp successful - Downloading boot script from http server
chain http://192.168.2.2/bootscript.ipxe

And my kernel loading script:

#!ipxe

echo Grabbing Kernel