[ipxe-devel] HTTPS error : http://ipxe.org/err/1c25e0

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 11:40:31 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Youkay akay <youkay.akay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I enabled HTTPS by adding  #define DOWNLOAD_PROTO_HTTPS to
> src/config/local/general.h
>
> But when i try to download the image , i get the below error.
>
> iPXE>boot https://[ipv6]/image_path
> Could not start download: Invalid argument (http://ipxe.org/1c25e082)

Hi,
Reading the URL in the error you can find this:

"This error indicates that the cryptographic random bit generator
could not be initialised. This usually indicates that there is no good
source of entropy available.

There is a known bug in the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor (as used for
Microsoft Azure virtual machines), in which the emulated CMOS RTC
hardware seems to be incapable of generating an interrupt. This breaks
the entropy generation mechanism used by iPXE, and will result in this
error. There are some indications that this problem affects only AMD
hardware, though this has not been proved conclusively. If you are
using Microsoft Azure, then you may be able to work around the problem
by using a larger instance (which is more likely to use an Intel
CPU)."

Are you using Hyper-V when testing this, or is it other hardware?

/Christian