[ipxe-devel] IPXE 2017 question

Konstantin Komaristy konstantin.komaristy at ericsson.com
Thu Dec 7 12:42:43 UTC 2017

Hi,

We have noticed while deploying Red Hat OpenStack 10 Platform, that
2017 versions of ipxe.efi file cause Intel x710 NIC failure to complete
PXE-boot.

Comparison  of 2016 and 2017 boot sequences shows a small difference,
we would like to get a comment on this:

-- after loading the 2016 ipxe.efi image the x710 NIC is sending the
DHCP Discover with

	Option 93 Client System Architecture: EFI x86-64 (9)
	Option 60 Vendor Class Identifier:
PXEClient:Arch:00009:UNDI:003010

        and this causes the RHOSP Director to offer to load the http://
192.0.2.1:8088/inspector.ipxe then the introspection completes

-- after loading the 2017 ipxe.efi image, the x710 NIC is sending the
DHCP Discover with

	Option 93 Client System Architecture: EFI BC (7)
	Option 60 Vendor Class Identifier:
PXEClient:Arch:00007:UNDI:003010

        and this causes the RHOSP Director to offer to load the
ipxe.efi file again, then PXE boot is looping

##SELECTION_END##We have a question: could anyone please explain why
the same NIC (Intel x710) with no other changes identifies it's Client
System Architecture as 7 or 9, depending on the version of ipxe.efi
file?

What is the appropriate Client System Architecture for this NIC?

Thanks!
/Konstantin