[ipxe-devel] CDROM static iPXE

Vallard vallard at benincosa.com
Wed Aug 30 21:05:56 UTC 2017

This is going to sound a little strange, but I'm trying to use an ISO image
to kick off an iPXE installation.  Workflow would be as follows:

1.  Create ISO image with ipxe.iso with initrd script
2.  Boot machine off the ISO image
3.  Embedded script has static networking settings (No DHCP, No pxelinux.0,
No TFTP servers)
4.  Machine then uses HTTP to load an Operating system

I think this is possible but since it's loading from isolinux instead of
pxelinux I'm wondering if the network drivers are never being started.
The troubles I'm having seem to be a few things:

1.  No network devices are found.  Booting up the basic ISO image (
http://boot.ipxe.org/ipxe.iso) and loading the command prompt I don't see
any interfaces:
IPXE>ifstat
(returns nothing)

I'm wondering if this is that the Cisco UCS drivers are just not in there.
I didn't see them in the src when I compiled from scratch either.  Perhaps
that would be something to add.  The drivers I use are the enic drivers.

2.  I thought to put a script on the ISO image my isolinux.cfg would look
like:

# These default options can be changed in the geniso script
SAY iPXE ISO boot image
TIMEOUT 30
DEFAULT ipxe.lkrn
LABEL ipxe.lkrn
 KERNEL ipxe.krn
 APPEND initrd=myscript.kpxe

But it says it can't find myscript.kpxe every time.  Where an I find the
command line options for ipxe.krn?

My myscript.kpxe just says things like:

#!ipxe
echo +----- STATIC (embedded) -------------------------