[ipxe-devel] dhcp user-class check for "iPXE"

Linto Paul lintopaul at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 12:27:33 UTC 2017

Hello Folks,

I am trying to iPXE boot latest RHEL 7.3 on HP Proliant Gen 9
server(XL190R) in UEFI mode but can't get the infinite dhcp loop to be
broken using the chain load option below:

if exists user-class and option user-class = "iPXE"{
    filename "xx.xx.xx.xx/default.ipxe
}

No matter what I try this condition is never met so always the control goes
to the else condition and tries to boot off the bootloader provided there.

By the way, I am aware of using the ipxe compile option with embedded
script to break from the loop but wasn't able to get it to boot as I get a
kernel panic.

Any help on getting around this dhcp option would be much appreciated.
Also, any pointers on successful use cases with RHEL in UEFI mode would be
helpful as well. From my understanding only RHEL 7.3 onwards can be used
with iPXE in UEFI mode but correct me if I am wrong.

Best regards,

Linto