[ipxe-devel] iPXE TLS handshake failure for messages in multiple TLS records?

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Tue Apr 11 12:21:05 UTC 2017

On 10/04/17 12:27, Peter Wagemans wrote:
> It doesn't seem to take into account that the payload_len of the
> handshake message can be bigger than the received TLS record and will
> continue in a subsequent TLS record. Unfortunately, that is the case
> in the current setup of the tested Satellite server.
>
> Can you confirm this theory about a handshake failure mechanism?

Your theory is correct.  iPXE does not support fragmentation reassembly
of non-data records.  We could potentially add this feature.

> If the code is indeed the culprit, then a workaround is probably to
> reconfigure the Satellite server to either not ask for client
> certificates on the URLs that iPXE retrieves,

That can't work since you don't know the URL until after the handshake
has completed.  (If you are using a completely different virtual host
then you could use the SNI to trigger this behaviour.)

> or to configure a smaller list of acceptable client certificate CAs.

That should work.