[ipxe-devel] SuperMicro SYS-1028U-TR+ with Intel X710-DR2 nic card

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Wed Mar 30 19:35:57 UTC 2016

On 30/03/16 20:23, Todd Stansell wrote:
> I did enable undinic debug messages and see the following:
>
>    UNDINIC 0x23c6c using UNDI 0x870aa988
>    UNDINIC 0x23c6c has MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 and IRQ 11

That MAC address looks problematic.

> Not sure if that helps at all, but figured it might be useful.  We're going to
> try to move this NIC into a different system type altogether to see if it
> behaves any better.  Maybe there's something in the Supermicro BIOS that's
> causing the interrupts to not fire or get lost or something.  I have a hard
> time believing Intel's X710 10G NIC have an interrupt bug.

It's quite plausible.  UNDI is architecturally limited to using legacy
interrupts, which are emulated on PCIe and which almost nothing else
uses nowadays.

I'm interested to see if anything changes in a different system.  The
interrupt issue is probably timing-sensitive, so a change in PCIe
topology could easily affect it.