[ipxe-devel] Size limit in iPXE

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 10:11:07 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Pedro Goncalves <pedro at thousandeyes.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are trying to use iPXE to boot a firmware update ISO provided by Dell to
> update our Dell Poweredge servers, but iPXE fails to fetch the iso with the
> error “Error: No space left on device”(http://ipxe.org/err/341820). The size
> of the iso is approx. 2GB. So we wanted to ask you if there is a size limit
> hardcoded somewhere. If not, why are getting this error message? Our server
> has 128GB of RAM, so that can’t be the issue.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Pedro Rocha Goncalves  |  Systems Engineer  |  www.thousandeyes.com

BIOS is a bit different than a normal system, limited to 32-bit
addressing and a bunch of occupied windows in between.

That said, if it's an 11th generation or newer, I'd suggest using the
Lifecycle Controller to perform updates if possible.  Last I checked,
I could customize ISOs with the Repository Manager that were more
targetted.

--
-Gene