[ipxe-devel] DHCP - Support of vendor-encapsulated-options ?

Agrain Patrick patrick.agrain at al-enterprise.com
Tue Jun 21 06:18:50 UTC 2016

OK, it seems that my explanations were a little bit confusing. I apologize. Let us try to make it shorter...

When booting a AS (IBM or HP) through build-in PXE loader, we receive several information from boot server through the dhcpd.conf.
Ex.:
        host mohon {
                hardware ethernet 00:80:9F:D8:8C:20; # ETH0
                filename "/bootp/linux/106.000-pre/pxe/pxeloader_mohon";
                fixed-address 172.25.27.80;
                option vendor-encapsulated-options "S/tel/L2960.fr";
        }

Our installer, then, use this information and fills up a local structure.
Here is the canevas of our installer that manage this (note the different supported option) :
<...>
	switch (opt) {
	case 0x00:		/* Padding tag. */
<...>
	    break;
	case 0x01:		/* Netmask tag. */
<...>
	    break;
	case 0x03:		/* Gateway tag. */
<...>
	    break;
	case 0x2b:		/* Specific tag. */
<...>
          break;
	case 0x63:		/* Magic tag. */
<...>
	    break;
	case 0xff:		/* Last-tag tag. */
<...>
	    break;
	default:
<...>
	}
<...>

This works well, even for the option 43 (0x2b) defined in the dhcpd.conf file like above.

Now, booting a Mohon Peak with iPXE and the same dhcpd.conf file shows that all option, except 43, are passed to our installer.

Is there a special handling in iPXE and/or in the dhcpd.conf file to get this string passed along with the 'vendor-encapsulated-options' ?

Thanks.
Best regards,
Patrick Agrain