[ipxe-devel] sanboot over iSCSI - halts

manoj hirway manoj.hirway at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 13:04:28 UTC 2016

Hello Guys,
                I tried booting an existing Ubuntu VM image (.raw) that I
exposed as an iSCSI LUN, using iPXE sanboot. (Both the iSCSI target and
Client are on the same LAN)
It started the boot process, however, it seems Ubuntu could not mount the
root file system and gave me a initramfs prompt.

I also tried the same with Windows images and I got a BSoD (Blue Screen
Crash).

Can’t we use existing VM images that were created using VMware ESX or
Virtualbox ? Why is the root file system not mounted, when booted from iPXE
?
Am I missing something ?

Can someone please help me to figure out how to sanboot existing VM images
over ISCSI ?

Screenshot of Ubuntu boot process:

Thanks,
Manoj