[ipxe-devel] Could not open SAN device - I want to boot FreeBSD via NFS and pxeboot

David Evans dave.evans55 at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 18 08:35:35 UTC 2016

I get the message:

Could not open SAN device: Operation not supported
http://ipxe.org/3c092003

It used to work in older versions of ipxe

My setup:

Parallels Desktop 10.3.0 virtual machine running on OS X.
Booting via virtual floppy disk compiled as make bin/ipxe.dsk.
NFS disk mounted on /Volumes/FreeBSD-NFS  on OS X.

Booting FreeBSD 9.3 with this ISC dhcpd config:

##########
        host pallipxe {
                hardware ethernet 00:1c:42:9c:d3:1c;
                fixed-address 192.168.0.99;
                next-server 192.168.0.2;
                filename "pxeboot";
                option root-path "192.168.0.2:/Volumes/FreeBSD-NFS";
        }

I also have an ancient PC, which is so old it does not have PXE in rom.
I try to boot FreeBSD as above, with a similar configuration, with
ipxe loaded via a hard drive partition compiled as make bin/ipxe.hd

It does not work there either.

I have bisected this error. The first bad commit is 53d2d9e3c37d6

I would like ipxe to pass the root-path unmodified to FreeBSD's
pxeboot program instead of treating it like the root of a SAN disk.