[ipxe-devel] Wireless PXE boot

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Sun Feb 28 08:27:48 UTC 2016

Hi Andre,

Am 26.02.2016 um 11:58 schrieb Andre:
> Hi,
>

> Found your website and saw that your solution has the possibility to use
> wireless PXE.
>

> Currently a customer where I’m working has some new laptops. Of course
> these can get their image via standard wired PXE boot. However the
> preferred way they want to do this in the future is using wireless. This
> because of room and easiness, they don’t need cables anymore.
>

> I have some questions regarding that. Hope that you can help me out on
> these questions?
>

> ·       Is it possible to use iPXE to use a wireless card for PXE boot?
>
> ·       Or does this depends on what kind of wireless NIC is being used?

Exactly. You have to flash the card with the ipxe-firmware for enabling
this.

> ·       Does the wireless card has to natively support PXE?

No, only with ipxe firmware its possible.

> ·       The laptop I’m referring to is a HP EliteBook 745 G2. From what
> I found it is using a Broadcom wireless card.

Looks fine, should be possible. Here is a list of known working
hardware: http://ipxe.org/appnote/hardware_drivers

Take this howto: http://ipxe.org/howto/romburning

> ·       What needs to be done to get this working?
>
> ·       Does this take a lot of effort to be implemented?

I dont know.

Regards
Oliver